12 April, 2014

Colourful Handmade Oven Mitts



This project has been in the back of my mind for such a long time that it's actually ridiculous. In theory, now that it's over I should be inspired to bake, but I really just want to make another pair for everyone I know.

My kitchen - and the majority of my house - is very blue. At times it can feel quite dark and overwhelming, but I'm slowly brightening the place up with white furniture and yellow and orange accents. It's a colour combination that I really love, so these bright new oven mitts are super exciting. 

Well, as exciting as something like an oven mitt can actually be...



It's a really satisfying project for someone (like me) who doesn't really have the patience for large-scale quilting but still wants to play with all the pretty fat-quarters in the fabric store. I literally sat on the floor of Lincraft for 20 minutes before choosing these three prints - sorry Shawn!

I drew up my own pattern for these mitts - I wanted a cuter shape than the generic glove style. It turned out pretty comfortable, but there are a few things I'll tweak before making them again. 

I took quite a few pictures during construction, so if it's something that people would be interested in, I'd be happy to post the pattern with a tutorial some time soon. 
What do you think?

They'd make a lovely Mother's Day gift, actually. Hey, for once I have great timing!

5 comments:

Marion said...

I love the shape of your oven mitts and the fabrics you used.

Kristina said...

I love the colors you chose, so bright and cheerful! Happy baking!

Unknown said...

Thank you Marion!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kristina :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, theses are so cute! You're really talented
P.S. I'd be very interested if you wanted to post the pattern, it is a great idea for recuperating fabric :)